5 top tips for an enjoyable wedding day.
Having worked in the wedding biz for a few years now, my wife Michelle and I have learnt so many things from our couples and families. The ‘what to do’s’ and ‘what not to do’s’ on the big day.
The stressful last minute issues and how to make sure the happy couple are blissfully unaware of them and the little things that just make the day run that little bit more smoothly…
I don’t want to wax lyrical for hours and I’m sure you don’t have hours to spare anyway so, in conjunction with my wife at www.mtaylorcelebrant.co.uk, we have compiled our absolute top 5 tips to help ensure your big day goes wonderfully.
We hope they help. Let us know! Oh…and have a fabulous day!
THE BIG 5 !
Congratulations your big day has arrived!
The scene is set. The seating plan, having been revised and revised again, is finally drawn up. The flowers have arrived, as has the amazing cake. The suits and dresses are hanging ready to slip on once hair has been coffered possibly even make up applied… So what else do you need to think about?
1. Hydrate & eat!! Chances are you will have been too excited to get a full night’s sleep so it’s important, whatever actual time your wedding is scheduled for, to eat breakfast and perhaps a light snack before your ceremony.
Ladies, trust me… your dress WILL still fit!
Eating something on your wedding day isn’t going to cause you to gain 7lbs in a nanosecond!
I don’t want to scare anyone but I have known it for the Bride to pass out half way through her vows because she chose to ignore this advice. You have been warned!
And you need to stay hydrated, it’s good for your skin, helps prevent tension headaches and gives your hands something to do!
By all means have a little tipple to calm nerves and just start the day in a celebratory mood, but don’t overdo it. Your officiant might not be able to marry you! (And you’ll be bursting for a pee halfway through the ceremony if you’re not careful!)
2. During the prep take a moment out to look around and take everything in, who is doing what and where. Don’t keep worrying about what you have got to do next and spend your big day clock watching! You have hired others to watch the clock for you ( your photographer for one! ) and make sure everything runs to schedule so live in the moment and enjoy it!
You know your day is going to go in a blur so lock those memories in! We followed this bit of advice and can still remember some of the minute details of our big day.
3. Don’t stress, all the hard work is done. Relax, enjoy, the day will be what it’ll be. Seriously don’t sweat the small stuff & don’t try to micro manage!
It never, ever works when you do AND it will just end up stressing you out!
So you realise just how important this is, I’ll say it again. Don’t try to micro manage!! Trust your team of suppliers… after all, you’ve picked some pretty awesome ones… right?
4. Make sure to get your ‘maids’ or your ‘men’ to assist you when you need it. They aren’t there just for the free lunch, it’s a working day for them!! They are your support for your big day after all. Don’t be afraid to ask them to perform little tasks when you need them. (Ladies if you need help with your frock when visiting the loo, make sure your girls are available … check out the bin bag tip on the old Internet too – from Michelle).
Allocate your ‘tribe’ some tasks, when they all know what they are doing and pull together it makes an amazing day just that bit more awesome…THIS is why you are friends with this lot! They have your backs!
5. Take 5 minutes time out during the reception to wander off with a glass of something chilled and your new spouse… Sit, talk and take in the moment…
You did it!! You’re finally married after all those years or months of organisation. Admire how your rings sit on your fingers, how beautiful or dapper your other half is looking.
Go for little stroll together away from the crowd, time to just enjoy each other’s company for a little while.
If you can, take a walk around your wedding breakfast area before you guests come in. No doubt a lot of thought, time and effort has gone into making it just perfect, so have a look around and take it all in.
Near the end of the day take time out to just enjoy some peace and just “watch” for a while, before getting back into the fray and throwing some funky moves on the dance floor!